Carlton

  • Suburb:Carlton
  • Postcode:2218
  • Population:9808
  • Municipality:Kogarah City Council
Carlton was originally heavily timbered. Carlton was part of a grant of 1,950 acres (7.9 km2) made to Captain John Townson in 1808. The grant extended from King Georges Road and Stoney Creek Road to beyond Kogarah railway station. When the railway line to Hurstville was opened in 1884, large estates were subdivided and residents began moving in. However, there was no platform at Carlton until 1889. Landholders were given a block of land free if they contributed 400 pounds to finance the construction of the platform and station buildings. They were also guaranteed a first class ticket to Sydney for one year.

Carlton’s main shopping centre is located on both sides of Carlton railway station, on Railway Parade and Carlton Parade. Commercial developments are also found along the Princes Highway. Carlton railway station is on the Illawarra line of the City Rail network. Limited bus services also run throughout Carlton, such as those provided by the Veolia bus company.

Parks located in Carlton are Jubilee Oval, Kogarah Park, Tinsdale Reserve, Anglo Square Park & Augusta Park. Carlton is home to the St George Illawarra Dragons National Rugby League team. The St George home ground located on Jubilee Avenue, is known as WIN Jubilee Oval (formerly Jubilee Oval and OKI Jubilee Stadium). The Walk of Fame featuring St George legends is located in Park Street. The St George Leagues Club is located nearby on Princes Highway.

The Shopfront Contemporary Arts Centre in Carlton Parade is a co-operative owned completely by young people aged 8 to 25 with an international reputation that has made Australian and overseas tours. It was founded by Errol Bray in 1976. Various shops and restaurants line opposite sides of the princess highway for Carlton residents to use.

Schools surrounding the area are Carlton South public school, Kogarah high-school, Blakehurst High-school, Kogarah public school and Danebank Anglican girls school.